The 103-metre-high cathedral in the Russian capital Moscow is located west of the Kremlin. It is one of the highest Orthodox church buildings in the world. Originally built in 1883, shortly after Napoleon Bonaparte’s retreat from Moscow, it was a sign of gratitude for the victory and a symbol of the invincibility of the reign of the Tsars. During the Stalin dictatorship the building was destroyed to make room for the Palace of Soviets, which in the end was never completed. Instead, in 1960 a public bath was constructed in its place. In the 1990s the cathedral was rebuilt to its original state.